GBJam 2018 – Develop A GameBoy Game
I recently stumbled upon GBJam on Twitter and this sounds like an awesome idea for aspiring game designers.
GBJam is held each year over a period of 10 days where you are tasked with designing and developing a game around a particular theme, this year the Jam centers around GameBoy games. You can submit your games once completed and they will be judged and ranked to determine the best and brightest ideas overall. Sounds fun right?
Here are the rules:
1. Create a GameBoy styled game
2. Keep to the original GameBoy screen resolution of 160px x 144px.
3. Use only 4 colors in your game.
4. Use new assets for the game (no reusing old stuff!).
5. Have fun! Learn new things!
6. Share work in progress screenshots and spread the word -#GBJAM201
Other notes to be aware of:
* Gameboy sounds and music are encouraged but not required.
* Gameboy style control schemes are encouraged but not required.
* You can use any 4 colours but include an option to revert to the classic green colour scheme.
* You can use actual Gameboy hardware if you wish (or any other hardware as long as you stick to the above rules)
* All game engines are allowed (Unity, Unreal, Gamemaker)
* Pico 8 and other virtual consoles are allowed but must adhere to the rules above as much as possible. Lower resolutions are permitted but try to maintain the Gameboy aspect ratio.
I will definitely be watching out for this competition when it arrives and I will be one of the first in the queue to try out some of the games!